Friday, February 24, 2012

Does my metabolism need a nap?

I'm not getting enough sleep.  I exercise late at night, go to bed around 12:30 - 1 am (a few times recently even later  than that), and then get up at 6:45am to get my daughter off to school.  After dinner tonight I got cumfy on my bed, propping up some pillows and getting a magazine I'd fallen asleep reading last night before I got through 2 paragraphs.  I not only dozed off, but I slept hard for 3 1/2 hours!   Geez, I was tired!!!  I've got to start exercising earlier and getting to bed by 10:30 - 11.  I just love my late nights and hate to give them up.  >sigh<   Can't really start tonight either, since I just woke up from a looooong nap.  I hate to say it, but - I'll start tomorrow.  Really!  I will!

What I've found online about it indicates that not getting enough sleep affects hormones which affect metabolism.  Some experts say stuff about being tired and therefore reaching for junk food to get your energy up, or not having energy to exercise.  To that I say DUH.  That's not sleep deprivation causing weight gain.  That's poor diet and exercise causing it - no news there.  But research discussed in other (more helpful) articles specifies hormones that are affected by sleep deprivation, and how they affect our bodies.  It could explain why I had such a great week on paper (points-wise), yet only lost .2 lb during my 2nd week.




No comments:

Post a Comment